Community cat programs (CCPs) are an integral part of operations for animal shelters. Trap-neuter-vaccinate-return (TNVR) provides an immediate, lasting response for cats in and out of shelters, frees up valuable resources and increases adoption of cats not eligible for return.
Community Cats Complaint Mitigation Webinar- This session covers how to respond to residents who don't want community cats, also know as feral, stray or free-roaming cats, on their property. We'll discuss strategic placement of deterrents, de-escalation techniques and information sharing regarding the long-term effectiveness of managing populations of community cats after sterilization.
Community Cat Programs Handbook
Community cat programs (CCPs) are an integral part of operations for animal shelters across the U.S. This humane, fiscally responsible and effective programming provides an immediate, lasting response for cats in and out of shelters, frees up valuable resources and increases adoption of cats not eligible for return.
The revised version of the Community Cat Programs Handbook is fully updated with the latest research and effective practices to start or enhance a CCP. Community cats are widely accepted as members of the community and there is growing public support for lifesaving programs, such as trap-neuter-vaccinate-return (TNVR, also known as trap-neuter-return or TNR). Organized into 28 chapters that may be viewed individually or collectively, the handbook acknowledges the unique relationships between free-roaming cats and residents, and demonstrates how CCPs benefit everyone.
VIDEOS, WEBINARS, ONLINE COURSES & PODCASTS
- Animal Control Officers Talk About Trap-Neuter-Return - TNR
- Animal Services Center of the Mesilla Valley- Leave Kittens Radio Ad
- Best Friends Animal Society - Safe & Effective Cat Deterrents
- Cats Outside, It's Going to be OK, Best Friends Town Hall
- Community Cats: Mitigating Feline Nuisance
- Determining Eligibility for Cats in RTF and TNR Programs
- Palm Valley Animal Society Community Cat Program
- Shelter Training Videos for Cat Lifesaving Playlist
- The Community Cats Podcast: Interview with Scott Giacoppo, Director of National Shelter Outreach
- Cat Programs Online Courses
- Saving America's Pets Vlog
- The Best Friends Podcast
DOWNLOADABLE PDFs, PLAYBOOKS, & SOPs
- Alternative Outcomes Playbook
- Community Cat - Spay/Neuter Flyer
- Community Cat Programs Handbook
- Community Cat Programs Playbook
- Community Cat Programs - Seeing Stray Cats Doorhanger
- Community Cat Programs - Seeing Stray Cats Doorhanger - Spanish
- Community Cat Programs - Seeing Stray Cats Flyer
- Community Cat Programs - Seeing Stray Cats Flyer - Spanish
- FAQs to TNR- Bilingual
- Solutions to Cat Related Issues
- Solutions to Cat Related Issues- Spanish
- To Return-to-Field or Not Return-to-Field
- Can This Kitten be Returned to Where He/She Was Found?
- Working Cats Flyer
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES & INFORMATION
- Community Cats: Public Policy and Legal Issues
- Fact vs. Fiction: What Shelter and Field Services Staff Should Know About Free-Roaming Cats
- Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) Essentials
- Program Spotlights
- Austin collaboration delivers big wins for cats
- Community Cats Programs: Looking Back on Past Successes, Charting a New Future
- Need Data to Support Community Cat Programs?
- Pilot Community Cat Program Leads to Lifesaving Legal Changes in Harris County
- Research Underscores Need to Use Broadly Understood Language
- The Dilemma of the Friendly Outdoor Cat