The Best Friends Podcast Episode 82
For decades, the lack of positive outreach into bilingual communities has left generations of people unaware of animal shelters, what is happening at them, and how they, as pet lovers, can help save lives. And it truly is millions of pet owners. The Hispanic community alone accounts for more than 22-million pet owners.
The focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion across the industry has brought visibility to the untapped potential for more pet lovers in our communities, ready to help us achieve our goal of ending the killing of pets in shelters by 2025. But multilingual marketing is a specific skill and an area where you must act with intention if you are going to reach this untapped market effectively.
This week we talked with Mia Navedo-Williams, the manager of multicultural marketing at Best Friends. We learned more about the history of animal welfare’s involvement in the Hispanic community (or lack thereof). We also learn about setting ourselves up for success as we all do more to support all pet owners across the nation.
Click here to check out all the episodes from the podcast.
- What's next: Reducing racism in animal welfare
- Activating Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Animal Welfare
- Leveling the Field: How to Remove Barriers for Underrepresented Communities and their Pets
- Moving Beyond Bias with CARE
- Moving Beyond Bias with CARE 2.0
- Culture Initiatives Playbook
- Open Adoptions Playbook
- Best Friends Moves to Incorporate Diversity, Equity and Inclusion into Our Mission
- Best Friends Staff Open Up about Their Experiences with Racism in Animal Welfare
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Efforts Take Rightful Place at Center Stage
- New Report Shows How Social Vulnerability Affects Lifesaving
- People Experience Council Shares First Steps in DEI Work
- Best Friends Who We Are- Diversity
- Changing the color of our movement
- Our progress on making diversity more of a priority
- Effective Change Requires Proximate Leaders
- CDC Social Vulnerability Index
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Harvard Implicit Bias Test
- Human & Pet Vulnerability Study
- Roadblock-free is the way to be
manager of multicultural marketing, Best Friends Animal Society