The Best Friends Podcast - Episode 12
The progress towards a no-kill nation has been remarkable. From approximately 17-million animals killed in 1984, to 733,000 in 2019. Of course, one healthy or treatable pet killed is one too many.
Saying we need to end the killing of pets is great, but it takes a strategy to help the 5,000 shelters across the country get there. And a strategy is great, but it’s even better when you get specific with your goal and add the urgency that the animals deserve.
That’s No-Kill 2025. Working collaboratively, aligned around this common goal, together, we are ending the killing of pets in our nation’s shelters.
Guest this week:
- Makena Yarbrough, Regional Director, mid-atlantic and southeast regions Best Friends Animal Society
- Jill Mollohan, Associate Director Lynchburg Humane Society
- Brent Toellner, Sr. Director of National Programs Best Friends Animal Society
RESOURCES FROM THIS EPISODE
- Watch Julie Castle's keynote at the 2016 Best Friends National Conference.
- Best Friends Network Parter Facebook Group (must be with a Network Partner organization to join.).
- Click here for information on how to become a Network Partner.
- Meet the Network Team and learn who the contacts are for your region.
- Stay Connected with the Best Friends Network.
- Best Friends Shelter Outreach Mentorship Program.
- Community Lifesaving Dashboard: An online tool designed to provide a consistent, data-driven picture of lifesaving in our nation’s animal shelters. Collaboration with our shelter partners is essential to the success of this tool!
- Gap Analysis Tool: Want to increase your shelter’s save rate? Need to identify which programs will help you save more dogs’ and cats’ lives? Use our Gap Analysis Tool.
- Data about Shelter Trends Provide a Blueprint for Animal Services moving forward.
- Best Friends No-Kill Initiatives.
- Best Friends No-Kill FAQs.
- COVID-19 Town Hall: Shelter Operations.
- Data Proves Power of Managing Intake.