The Best Friends Podcast Episode 91
When there is a pet in need, there is often a person in need. That intersection of people and pets is at the heart of a new partnership in the state of Washington.
As the COVID-19 pandemic set in, the unknowns about the next few weeks and months raised concerns about the impact on pets. Would owners need help if they are struggling with illness? What would happen to the economy, and how would evictions impact pet owners? Unfortunately, affordable, pet-friendly housing is already in critically short supply across the country.
In late 2020, Best Friends launched a pilot project in Spokane, Washington, bringing together Best Friends Network partner SpokAnimal and Catholic Charities Eastern Washington - a “human welfare” organization that provides food, shelter, clothing, and assistance to anyone in need across the area. As the pilot project nears one year since its inception, we look to see if this strategic partnership is achieving its goal of keeping people and pets together.
- Catholic Charities USA: Serving both ends of the leash: Catholic Charities USA and Best Friends Animal Society help formerly homeless clients and their pets
- The Best Friends Podcast Ep. 49:A new day for animal sheltering in the United States
- The Best Friends Podcast Ep. 24: More than 40 million Pets at Risk of Eviction
- Catholic Charities Eastern Washington
- Community Cats Podcast
- Best Friends Animal Welfare Statistics: Why do pets end up in shelters?
- Become a Best Friends Network partner