The Best Friends Podcast Episode 14
Thanks to the most accurate and detailed dataset in animal welfare history, it is possible to see the number of animals killed nationally and all the way down to your community.
Effectively using the data drives the lifesaving efforts of Best Friends. For communities that have a lot of lives to save, the embed program, as it's known, brings Best Friends staff to the community. Be it short term to help with a particular area, or, as is the case with Santa Rosa County, Florida, a full-time staff member standing shoulder to shoulder helping transform the lifesaving efforts.
Santa Rosa County Animal Services has been progressing toward the no-kill benchmark but needed some guidance to help push through that 90% barrier. They opened their doors to the Best Friends embed programs team and their success will be the anchor to lead the entire panhandle to no-kill.
Guests this week:
- Michelle Logan, Director of National Shelter Embed Programming Best Friends Animal Society
- Jessica Gutmann, Manager of Operations Embed at Santa Rosa County Animal Services, Best Friends Animal Society
- Brandi Winkleman, President, A HOPE
- Dora Thomason, Shelter Director, Santa Rosa County Animal Services
- Jennifer Bitner, Executive Director, Pensacola Humane Society
Click here to check out all the episodes from the podcast.
RESOURCES FROM THIS EPISODE
- The Community Lifesaving Dashboard. An online tool designed to provide a consistent, data-driven picture of lifesaving in our nation’s animal shelters. Collaboration with our shelter partners is essential to the success of this tool!
- Lifesaving Gap Analysis Tool. Want to increase your shelter’s save rate? Need to identify which programs will help you save more dogs’ and cats’ lives? Use our Gap Analysis Tool.
- Want an insider’s scoop on how shelters are turning this pandemic into a positive for the animals in their shelter and community?. Jessica Gutmann hosted this Facebook live from Santa Rosa County Animal Services in April of 2020.
- What do Best Friends and a reality TV show like Bar Rescue have in common? Julie Castle’s blog.
- Santa Rosa County Animal Shelter is empty for the first time ever, thanks to surge of adopters and fosters - Pensacola New Journal, March 27th, 2020.